iA Writer is one of the better Android note taking apps that I've used. It's super fast, supports Markdown, has a clean UI, footnotes, and a ton of other features for free with no ads.
Thank you for subscribing to Note Apps and joining me on this journey to find the best Android note taking app.
Because you subscribe, you get many more insights than the high level summary visible to the general public. I hope this saves you from wasting time trying apps that don't meet your needs.
Tempted to buy it
iA Writer lacks support for image attachments and audio recording otherwise with those and WYSIWYG editing it would be perfect.
One odd thing about this app is that you can share your notes as text, HTML, PDF, and Word for free when in preview mode but you have to pay when in edit mode.
As always, I write most of the app reviews using the app under review. In this case, I was able to copy and paste the entire review here into Ghost with ease, retaining all the formatting / Markdown.
I didn't buy the app although I may since I'm intrigued by the online collaboration, style check, and Focus mode.
- Score: 8 / 10
- Version: 126.96.36.199 (144)
- Device: Samsung S20
- Play Store rating: 3.9*
- Developer: Information Architects GmbH | @iAWriter | r/iAWriter
- Price: Free for most functions. $5.99/yr or $39.99 one time (Web site says $29.99) for upgrades
- Location: Flüelastrasse 10 8048 Zürich SWITZERLAND
- No settings unless you pay
- Dark Mode is a paid option
- Top navigation bar goes blank, click it to display it
- No audio recording
- No image attachments
- Switching to preview mode is a menu item and back is using back arrow. Should be a button on the toolbar or the top of the page
- Took me a while to figure out that long pressing on a toolbar item gives you other options
- Have to click "X" to cyloseou the toolbar submenu, should be able to click anywhere in the note to remove it
- Hyperlinks aren't displayed using blue font
- A ton of functionality for free
- Clean UI
- Sort by date, filename, size
- Nice default font and size
- Search within a note
- Undo and redo
- Text formatting bold, italics, headings (H1 to H6)
- Copy text to, paste from clipboard
- Cut text
- [ ] checklist inline
- Dark Mode ($) and Focus Mode ($)
- Launches very fast
- Markdown support using Commonmark
- 6 font styles
- Cursor buttons on the toolbar to move back and forward a word at a time
- Keep notes on Google Drive ($) or Dropbox ($)
- Focus mode > dims everything but the current sentence
- Nested bullet or numbered lists
- Horizontal rule
- No ads
- Apps for MacOS, iOS, Android, and Windows
- Content blocks to content
- Keyboard shortcuts with a Bluetooth keyboard
- Share as text, HTML, PDF
- Share as Microsoft Word ($)
- Collaborate online ($)
- Style check ($)
your personal editor-in-chief on your device, carefully reviewing your text for redundancies, clichés, filler words and your custom patterns as you type